Despite being a big summer fan and regular beach goer, heading into the cooler months in Australia isn’t all that bad…For me, it’s a perfect time of year to ditch the air-conditioned gym and enjoy some exercise outdoors, without the risk of sunstroke or severe dehydration!
Not only can embracing the great outdoors offer an excellent physical workout, but being amongst Mother Nature can offer an element of mindfulness and help hit the reset button during/following a busy work week.
In case you’re in need of some inspiration, Team AB’s top 5 recommended Autumn outdoor activities in no particular order are….
- Take a hike in one of the many beautiful National Parks- Kalamunda and John Forrest both offer some great trails for all abilities
- Hire a kayak and soak up some stunning views from the Swan River- you won’t even realise how hard you’re working (until the next day J)
- Pump up your tires and pick one of the fantastic cycling routes on offer- a round trip from City Beach to Hilarys Boat Harbour clocks up almost 30km!
- Grab a friend and walk/jog the 10km Perth Bridges route (ending with a compulsory coffee in South Perth/Elizabeth Quay)
- Brave the waters and enjoy a stress-free beach swim thanks to the swimming nets at Coogee (300m) and Sorrento (660m) beaches
We are quickly approaching the 30% mark of 2017, and whatever health/fitness goals you started getting after at the start of the year may need a boost. Consider switching out this weekend’s gym session for one of the above activities, and even better- grab a friend or partner to join in on the fun!
Dr Jenny Conlon (BSc, MSc, PhD Sports Science)